RESPONSIO is Peter-Anthony Togni's extensive musical commentary on Guillaume de Machaut's medieval masterpiece the Messe de Nostre Dame. Juxtaposing the contemporary sound and performance practice of a bass clarinet against the timeless sonorities of a world class vocal quartet, Responsio brings Machaut's beautiful 14th century creation into the heart of the 21st century.
For more info please go to: jeffreilly.ca/projects-2/responsio
THE LAMENTATIONS OF JEREMIAH is a contemporary concerto for bass clarinet and choir. Written in 5 movements for the virtuoso soloist Jeff Reilly and the Elmer Iseler singers conducted by Lydia Adams, it is an innovative and multi-faceted work; melodic, exploratory, passionate, and soulful. It was release internationally on ECM records in 2009. For more info please go to: jeffreilly.ca/projects-2/lamentations-of-jeremiah
“Reilly’s performance is gripping: his use of extended techniques add moments of sudden rawness to a beautifully full tone that masterfully conveys the image of the lone prophet Jeremiah”. The Classical Review, UK (re: ECM release of Lamentations of Jeremiah)
“Jeff Reilly is an undisputed master of the Bass Clarinet who has gone to the end to explore its sonic universe.” Halifax Chronicle Herald
“The virtuoso clarinetist Jeff Reilly extends his cadenzas across the history of sound, from monotony to modernism, in a performance that is dominant and often hypnotic”
“Another real treat was the set by Upstream Orchestra, 18 pieces from the Maritime Provinces of Eastern Canada….. an improvising orchestra with real depth and very strong conduction by Jeff Reilly….. Big chunks of Mingus, George Russell, the ICP and much else assembled itself into a squawk-swept landscape of brilliant playing.” The Wire (UK)
ECM recording artist Jeff Reilly leads a multifaceted life as a bass clarinetist, composer, conductor, a CBC radio music producer, and as a radio documentary maker. The pure emotional accessibility of his rich, lyrical performance and compositional style reminds us that extended techniques, avant-guard sonorities and complex forms of notation can be executed within the service of musicality and sensitivity. Receiving 4 Juno nominations, an ECMA award as well as 4 ECMA nominations, his approach to music blurs any simple distinctions between improvisation and composition, and does so with a musicality and sensitivity that reminds us that such distinctions are moot.
He has performed with choirs, orchestras and chamber groups, in music festivals, cathedrals and concert halls around the world – with his trio Sanctuary he has performed in Shanghai, Paris, London, New York, St Petersburg, Moscow, Riga, Toronto, Montreal and more. Jeff Reilly also composes, records, tours and performs with the jazz drummer Jerry Granelli, the British duo of bassist Barry Guy and violinist Maya Homburger, the Halifax based Upstream Orchestra, as well as the Subtext and Suddenly ensembles also based in Halifax.
Jeff Reilly has commissioned solo performance works from Eriks Esenvalds, Peter-Anthony Togni, Christos Hatzis and Barry Guy.
Recent notable performances as a bass clarinetist:
- Responsio: Tour and recording of a 50 minute work by Peter-Anthony Togni for solo bs. Clar. And vocal quartet throughout Nova Scotia with vocalists Suzie Leblanc, Andrea Ludwig, Charles Daniels, John Potter - August 2013
- Orgue et Colours Festival Montreal: Feature concert with the Sanctuary Trio October, 2013
- Ottawa Chamber Music Festival: Feature concert with the Sanctuary Trio July 2013
- Scotiafestival of Music: Feature performance of the Berg Concerto for Piano, Violin & 13 Winds May 2013
- Waterloo Chamber Players: Featured soloist with the Waterloo, Ont. Chamber players orchestra performing Peter Togni’s “Illuminations” for bass clar and strings as well as the solo english horn part (on bass clarinet) in Aaron Copeland’s Quiet City March 2013
- Winnipeg New Music Festival: Featured soloist at the opening night of the festival performing Peter Togni’s Lamentations of Jeremiah, a concerto for solo bass clarinet and chamber choir with the Elmer Iseler Singers. Feb. 2013
- Club Inegal, London, UK: soloist with ensemble Inegal at Club Inegal, a contemporary music ensemble and performance space. Nov. 2012
- Sound Symposium, St John’s: featured solo performance at the St John’s Sound Symposium in July, 2012
Jeff Reilly extended bio 2014 Page 2
Recent notable performances of his compositions:
- Creatures of Infinite Grace with the Sanctuary Trio – Ottawa Chamber Music Fest 2013
- 1313 Squared with Note Inegales in London, UK 2012
- Meditations on Innocence with the Evergreen Club Contemporary Gamelan Orchestra 2010
- Internal Combustion with the Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra and Mark Duggan, soloist 2009
- Klangfarben Waltz with Barry Guy and Maya Homburger, Toronto 2008
- Chiaroscuro with the Upstream Orchestra at Scotiafestival of Music 2007
Recent notable performances as a conductor:
- 2013 Victoriaville International Music Festival. Conducted the Upstream Orchestra performing Paul Cram’s “The Magic Order” and “Convoy HFX” as well as “Witch Gong Game II/10”
- 2012 Open Waters Festival Halifax. Conducted the Upstream Orchestra performing Barry Guy’s seminal masterwork “Witch Gong Game II/10”
- 2011 Open Waters Festival Halifax. Conducted the Upstream Orchestra performing his own work “Internal Combustion”
As a CBC producer he has produced over 6,000 hours of radio programming, including 4 multi-episode documentaries on issues in contemporary music for the program IDEAS, he has also produced over 300 concert recordings of classical, jazz, world and contemporary music, over 70 studio sessions and 20 CD’s of Canadian Jazz and Classical music, including releases on CBC records, Warner Classics UK, Taflemusik Media, Centrediscs and NAXOS.
Jeff Reilly currently is the head of music performance for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s maritime region and also produces the nationally broadcast CBC radio 2 program “Choral Concert” with host Nick Halley.
| || ||Calendar
no upcoming events
past events »
no recent news
news archive »
|Last updated 2017-02-05 12:54:00 , 438787 visits||graphic design: Design Céleste ; code: Guchmu Design|